Haydon & McNamara, PSC
Call now for a free consultation 866-333-4736
Menu Location

Bardstown Kentucky Workers' Compensation Law Blog

Will my health condition qualify me for disability?

If you are suffering from a chronic disabling condition, you may qualify for receiving either Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI).

The federal Social Security Administration (SSA) has its "Listing of Medical Impairments," which is colloquially referred to as "the blue book." It lists each qualifying condition and details the factors that must be present to be considered.

Suffering amnesia after injury is possible

Amnesia can be a very difficult condition for its sufferers because while it often involves a subtle type of memory loss, it can sometimes be so debilitating that patients do not remember their own identities. Amnesia can be the result of many different injuries, such as brain damage or even a traumatic emotional event, like witnessing a fatal car crash.

What is amnesia?

Next steps after a denied Social Security Disability claim

As an employee or a former employee, you have paid toward disability insurance through your taxes all of your working life. It is one of the key protections offered to you by the Social Security Administration. These benefits help ensure that if you are to fall ill, become disabled as a result and need to stop working, you can have some income to support yourself as a disabled person.

Although Social Security Disability benefits should be on offer for all people in need, it may come as a surprise to learn that around 70 percent of applicants get denied Social Security Disability benefits the first time that they apply. So what should a person do when they have their claim denied by the SSA?

Car accident rehabilitation

Being involved in a car accident can be a terrifying and traumatic experience, whether you were physically involved or you were watching from the sidelines. The aftereffects of such an event should not be underestimated. People involved in car accidents can often suffer from post-traumatic stress, depression, anxiety and the trauma could also lead to developing a phobia of driving.

This is why it's important to treat both the physical and the mental injuries that take place during a car accident. Those who have suffered from traumatic experiences like this can find it beneficial to go to a specialized treatment for auto-related trauma. There are clinics that are specialized in giving this type of care.

Farm equipment presents many dangers

In Kentucky, farming is a common and vital industry. If you work on a large farm, you may feel quite comfortable on a tractor. Maybe your parents or grandparents were farmers, and you are following in their footsteps. As natural as it feels to do your job, you may still be aware of the inherent dangers in farm work.

In fact, farming is among one of the most dangerous jobs in the world. Some studies show that 100 people each day suffer injuries in agricultural accidents. Children seem to be especially vulnerable since 4,000 youths suffer injuries annually while working on farms. Certainly, safety is important to you, especially where your children are concerned. Because of this, you may be interested in some important safety tips.

Black lung claims in Kentucky

If you are a worker in Kentucky and you have injured yourself at work or have encountered an illness that you belief is work-related, there are many protections in place that are designed to support you during this time.

Occupational diseases can be very common among industries such as coal mining, where pollution and toxicity can cause problems.

Social Security Disability and depression

If a person has a physical disability that prevents him or her from being able to work, he or she is likely to be entitled to Social Security Disability (SSDI). This is also true for people that suffer from mental illnesses. The problem with mental illnesses is that it often carries a stigma where sufferers struggle to acknowledge their illness, they feel ashamed to tell people about it and furthermore, it can be more difficult to diagnose than many physical illnesses. But as a sufferer of a mental illness such as depression, it is important to remember that you are just as much entitled to help, care and support as any other sufferer of an illness.

Depression carries many symptoms, including the feeling of hopelessness, low energy and problems with sleep, whether it's insomnia or excessive sleeping. Depression is diagnosed by a doctor, and he or she will look at any other conditions that may be causing your symptoms, as well as the severity and persistence of the symptoms that you are experiencing.

New study to look into long-term effects of brain trauma

The medical community is only just now beginning to understand the long-term effects traumatic brain injuries (TBI) have on those who suffer them. The issue gained mainstream visibility recently through the public struggles of a number of professional athletes who suffered head injuries while playing their given sport. Now, Indiana University has secured a grant to specifically study these long-term effects, to the tune of $2.1 million.

The study, which is in conjunction with the Rehabilitation Hospital of Indiana, plans to focus on the ways that brain injuries leave victims suffering well after the incident. The researchers hope to shed light specifically on just how devastating a brain injury can be long after a victim or the victim's community may believe the symptoms have subsided.

Blindness and Social Security Income: What you should know

While there are many disabling conditions that qualify applicants for Social Security Disability benefits or Supplemental Security Income, blindness is treated somewhat differently.

This is what you should know:

Does fibromyalgia qualify you for disability benefits?

It is difficult when a medical condition begins to affect multiple areas of your life, but it is extremely difficult when it begins to impact your ability to work. Some people find that they are unable to hold regular employment or earn a living due to various types of medical conditions, including issues ranging from car accident-related injuries to internal illnesses.

One of the common conditions that could affect your ability to work is fibromyalgia. This condition is not visible, and many people misunderstand the impact that it can have on a victim. Over time, this condition could eventually rob you of your ability to work, meet the requirements of other jobs and earn a living to support yourself and your Kentucky family.


Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

brand footer

4 convenient office locations

Bardstown Main Office:

798 Portland Avenue | Bardstown, KY 40004 | Toll Free: 866-333-4736 | Fax: 502-349-1650 | Map & Directions

Bardstown Office
798 Portland Avenue
Bardstown, KY 40004

Toll Free: 866-333-4736
Fax: 502-349-1650
Map & Directions

Campbellsville Office
209 East Broadway
Campbellsville, KY 42718

Toll Free: 866-333-4736
Fax: 502-349-1650
Map & Directions

Danville Office
104 Ponder Court
Suite C
Danville, KY 40422

Toll Free: 866-333-4736
Fax: 502-349-1650
Map & Directions

Elizabethtown Office
122 North Main Street
Suite 105
Elizabethtown, KY 42701

Toll Free: 866-333-4736
Fax: 502-349-1650
Map & Directions

Review Us